Oren D. Saltzman represents small, medium, and large privately held, family-owned businesses in a variety of areas. Valued for his commonsense approach, he works to help businesses navigate through various stages of growth and maturity in support of executive leadership or owners.
He concentrates his law practice in the areas of business, commercial real estate tax appeals, corporate law, commercial civil litigation, estate planning and administration, and taxation. As counsel, he works to become an extension of his client’s leadership to develop intimate knowledge of their business. This allows him to establish a familiarity with businesses often associated with that of internal general counsel.
Mr. Saltzman is knowledgeable about many industries, especially with ones in which he is involved civically, such as non-profits within the education space. He represents a number of manufacturers, service providers, and wholesale companies.
Mr. Saltzman is a member of the Maryland and District of Columbia Bars and is also admitted before The Supreme Court of the United States, the U.S. Tax Court, and the U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland. He frequently presents seminars on the operation of non-profit organizations as well as business formation choices and the federal and state tax consequences thereof.
With deep civic ties to the Baltimore and Howard County communities and a passion for giving back, Mr. Saltzman is the current Chair of The Community Action Council of Howard County Board of Directors. He is also a member of the Board of Directors of the Colleen and Erin Marlatt Scholarship Fund.
- Business Group
- Wills, Estates & Trusts Group
- Banking and Bankruptcy Group
- Tax Group
- Intellectual Property
- Maryland, 1985
- District of Columbia, 1988
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Tax Court
- United States District Court for the District of Maryland
- LL.M. Tax, University of Baltimore School of Law, 1991
- J.D., University of Baltimore School of Law, 1985
- B.A., Loyola College, 1982
- Best Lawyers® in America, 2024 in the field of Real Estate
- Best Lawyers® in America, 2023 in the field of Real Estate
- 2023 Maryland Super Lawyers, Baltimore Magazine, Business/Corporate
- 2022 Maryland Super Lawyers, Baltimore Magazine, Business/Corporate
- 2021 Maryland Super Lawyers, Baltimore Magazine, Business/Corporate
- 2020 Maryland Super Lawyers, Baltimore Magazine, Business/Corporate
- 2013 -2019 Maryland Super Lawyers, Baltimore Magazine, Business/Corporate
- 2012 Maryland Attorney Advocate of the Year for Baltimore District of the Small Business Administration
- 2010-2011 Maryland’s Legal Elite, Smart CEO Magazine
Professional and Civic Involvement:
- Member, Maryland State Bar Association
- Member, Howard County Bar Association
- Member, District of Columbia Bar Association
- Member, Baltimore City Bar Association
- Howard County Chamber of Commerce, 1994-1995 Co-Chairman, Membership Drive
- The Community Action Council of Howard County
- Learning, Inc., Chair 2013-2015
Publications and Lectures:
- “What Your Business Should Know about Conflict Minerals,” http://baltimore.citybizlist.com, June 5, 2014
- “So you want to retire…“, Baltimore SmartCEO, August, 2012, www.smartceo.com
- “Employee or Independent Contractor,” Oren Saltzman and Eric D. Disharoon, Biz Journal Monthly, May, 2011,
- Mr. Saltzman frequently presents seminars on business formation choices and the federal and state tax consequences
- Mr. Saltzman has written numerous articles for the Howard County Business Monthly, the Baltimore Business Journal and the Maryland Bar Journal